Tips & Resources for Establishing Systems
Chances are that you entered the world of driving rehab because you were passionate about helping others reach their driving goals. It is less likely that you began this journey in order to enjoy all of the paperwork, systems, infrastructure, and policies required to run a business.
Well, fear not, there are several others like you that pour their hearts and souls into their clients but need a little help when it comes to setting up the back end. Luckily, we have the experience to offer some helpful tips that are crucial when starting or growing your practice.
Streamline & Automate Your Practice Management
One of the best things you can do for yourself and your practice, is to find a software management system that can help you streamline your back-end functions. We have found practiceQ to be incredibly helpful, and here are some of the ways it can optimize your day-to-day operations:
~ Appointment Management
- Book appointments
- Confirm appointments
- Send automated reminders through text, voicemail, or email
- Sync to your Google calendar
~ Invoicing & Payments
- Invoice clients
- Send reminders or past due notices
- Accept all major credit cards
~ Automated Workflows
- Customize workflows for different services to keep things automated
~ Secure Client Portal
- Offer clients access to their information including forms, treatment notes, and billing details
- Send HIPPA-compliant messages
- Allows for easy, secured messaging between you and the client
~ Documents & Forms
- Easily create driver rehab specific forms that meet your needs and support your clinical reasoning – you no longer have to try and squeeze your documentation into a standard evaluation form.
- Store, access, and edit important documents and forms
- Send documents directly to clients and insurance agencies
- Upload and securely save photos of licensing, equipment, etc.
It is important to have somewhere you can keep everything organized, easily accessible, and automated as much as possible. After all, we know you would rather spend time with your clients than be stuck on your computer.
If you are interested in giving practiceQ a try, here is our affiliate link: https://intakeq.com/r/husdle. This program has made a huge difference for our organization, and we recommend it to anyone looking to streamline and organize their business.
Know Your State Regulations
You also need to be well versed in your state’s licensing regulations. Every state has different requirements for its drivers, and it is important to know how they affect your clients and program structure. Your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles website can be a great tool for researching information. If you plan on working with clients from multiple states, make sure you have the most up-to-date information from each State Driver Licensing Agency (SDLA).
Make Sure You Are Properly Insured
Insurance is never a fun topic, but it is certainly a necessary one. You want to make sure you have insurance that covers your business, your rehab vehicles, and your clients.
While your standard OT liability insurance may cover your clinical testing, it is not going to cover you in a non-traditional setting – aka the driver rehab car. We recommend working with an agency that will listen to your specialized needs and customize your policy accordingly.
We have found a great partner in PSA insurance, specifically Pat DeNorbrega. Pat took the time to talk with us and really understand our role and what we offer. He was able to put together a comprehensive policy that covered all of our bases.
Signup for Mentorship
We know that there are several other aspects of running a business besides just insurance, state regulations, and business management software. That is why we offer the mentorship segment to our program. Starting and growing your practice takes a lot of work and often raises a lot of questions. In our Part 3: Mentorship program we will help ease the stress of starting your practice by offering you countless resources and guidance.
This 12-week journey gives you everything you need to save time, save money, and jump-start your own private practice. Why recreate the wheel and start from scratch when we can give you exactly what you need?
Here are some examples of what your mentorship experience would include:
- Weekly virtual meetings with your mentor to focus on key concepts to help you establish, develop, and grow your own private practice
- Clarity on your value, vision, and mission so that you can create the private practice of your dreams
- Regulatory support for learning your state laws and regulations
- Guidance on equipment and driver rehabilitation vehicle selection
- Guidance and financing tips on obtaining clinical testing materials and adaptive driving equipment
- Access to our business forms which include developed program guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Electronic documentation training with the use of IntakeQ/PracticeQ including ready to use documentation, intake forms, welcome letters, appointment confirmations, and billing integration tips
- Education on sustainable referral sources, strategies for OT-specific sales, and promoting your business with integrity
- Exploring resources for logo design, marketing collaterals, and website design
- Identifying and exploring risk management and liability considerations
Starting your practice can be overwhelming at times, but the outcome exceeds any challenges you will face along the way.
We hope that some of the tips above prove helpful in your journey, and we encourage you to contact us for more information about our mentorship experience.