Is there a connection between falling & driving? Yes, there is!
Did you ever consider the connection between falling and crash risk? The AAA Foundation is reporting that drivers with a history of falling are 40% more likely to be involved in a car crash. Falling is something we all want to avoid. And driving is something we all want to continue! Considering these steps to help keep you safe:
- Take steps to reduce your fall risk by wearing good shoes and using good lighting.
- Take your time, especially in new places or on uneven ground.
- Stay in shape! Yoga, silver sneakers, Tai Chi, walking, whatever you do, make sure you do it frequently to keep your leg muscles and balance sharp.
- If you have diabetes or neuropathy, keep a good eye on your feet. Sensation changes in your toes or foot could signal a change. We use the feeling in our feet to help us walk, balance, and press on the brake pedal. If you are noticing a change, let your doctor know.
- If you or someone you know is falling more often, reach out for help. Falls can signal a change in strength and balance that can affect safety in the home and on the road. Reach out to Adaptive Mobility with your questions through our Driver Safety Quiz or call your doctor.
Adaptive Mobility Services is here to help keep you safe!