As you head out to enjoy Halloween this evening, here are a few safety tips to help keep you and your little trick or treaters safe while navigating your communities!
- Have a Plan – Plan out your safe trick or treat route before you go and let your ghosts & goblins know what to do if they get lost or separated from the group.
- Be Visible – Those witch-i-pooh costumes are cute, but dark! Consider adding glow sticks, glow necklaces, flashlights, or reflecting tape to help drivers see you.
- Safety First – Always check both ways before crossing the street, use the sidewalks and crosswalks, and travel out of the middle of roadways. The spooky darkness sometimes makes it hard for drivers to see you.
- Find a Buddy – If you are going in a group, use the buddy system to make sure everyone sticks together and request your wizards save all their disappearing acts for when they get home.
- Visit Your Friendly Neighbors – Keep an eye out for well lit homes with porch lights on. These are the homes expecting visitors. Remind your kiddos, especially on Halloween, not to enter anyone’s home.
And while it is sometimes hard to wait, return home to check all your treats with an adult before enjoying it! Have a happy & safe trick or treat!
For safety tips for drivers, caregiver support, and clinician resources visit us at https://adaptivemobility.com/.
Susie Touchinsky, OTR/L, SCDCM, CDRS